Sunday, August 29, 2010

Don't Blame God (copied from elsewhere)

I can't take credit for this, but agree with everything that is said here and wanted to share it with others.  I got this as part of a daily emailing I'm subscribed to:


A few phrases I hear that drive me crazy, and what I usually don’t say in reply:

I know it will work out, because God would not have put me into this if He was not going to get me out.
Maybe God did not put you there; maybe it was your doing.
God only gives us what we can handle.
Unfortunately, most of us have a bad habit of biting off more than we can chew, and then blaming it on God.
God’s Word shall not return void.
This is used to claim that a prayer will be answered as we prayed it, or sharing the Gospel will result in salvation. This seems more like witchcraft to me. The scripture that is misquoted here is from Isaiah, and it’s about the words God speaks, not what we say:
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”[Isaiah 55:11 NKJV]
“It’s a sign.”
You can make anything a sign. Some folks live their life by perceived signs, and make a mess of things.
I’m waiting for a sign.
Jesus had some rude words for those who are looking for signs.
I don’t know why He led me into that deal/choice that cost me a million dollars/my house/my marriage, but I know it was Him.
Or, maybe your pride won’t let you admit you made a mistake?
Basically all of these have a way of putting on God things that are often not God’s doing. These are ways of excusing our errors, justifying our actions, or allowing us to feel good about continuing to do something that is somewhere between silly and suicidal.
In addition, just once I would like to hear someone say “I thought it was God, but now I know I was wrong.” I have had people continue to say something was God when it so clearly was not, and it’s just annoying!

2 comments:

  1. YES.

    A thought-provoking series of observations. It gets at that particular brand of knowledge-anemic "christianese" that turns powerful truths into truisms.

    The second-to-last sentence, in particular, hits home for this raised-in-a-charismatic-church girl.

    ReplyDelete